Wednesday, August 27, 2008

All but a bonnet and churn

I have been learning about what is in our food. Isn't knowledge funny? Ignorance really is bliss sometimes isn't it. The reality of what I have begun to learn has definitely opened my eyes. This being said, my husband and I have been looking into how we can change what we eat. One way we are able to eliminate some of the harmful and needless additives in our food is by drinking organic milk.
The search for organics in my area is a little more difficult, but it can be done. I have talked to many that I know from church that are more Eco-knowledgeable and found a few co-ops. Basically a co-op is a cooperative organization of farmers that have a store that is not for profit. Being I try to support my local and small business owners whenever I can, this mode of grocery selection seemed to be a great idea.
There are two in my area. Well sort of my area. There is a small one named Sno-Isle Co-op in Everett and another in Mount Vernon named Skagit Valley Co-Op. The Mt. Vernon one is much bigger than the Everett one and has a lot more selection. My main hang up with going all organic is I simply can't afford it! When you consider the cost of foods today and then double it, how can anyone afford to feed a family the way they would prefer?
My Dad scoffs at the organic principal, but when you think about it, when he grew up, things were basically organic. They were starting to form pesticides and other "helpful" products. But for the most part they were organic. Isn't it interesting how many more cancers and other various illnesses do we have? I have the opinion that we have an increased amount of illnesses because of a couple reason. One being that we have a more proficient medical knowledge, but also that we are helping cause our diseases. I have a friend, that many of my readers know, who is 24. She was recently diagnosed with stage four colon cancer. She has no family history. None! What are we doing to our bodies!
To be able to still reduce some of the toxins and additives in our family's food, I have decided to buy what things I can in organic. Such as vegetables and fruits and milk.

Going on this, I bought organic cream.... What do you do with organic cream? Make butter or whipping cream are the two that came to mind first. So I did make butter. It was so easy too! I put the cream in my blender. Turned it on till it was churned. Then rinsed! Add salt or whatever else you desire and you are done!
Its so simple. If cream were cheaper, I would make it all by myself. Butter is not one of those things that is cheaper to make yourself. It also cost about double. Especially for organic.

No comments: