Monday, August 25, 2008

Reflections on the Anniversary


Being on the west coast, who thinks of the horrors that occurred seven years ago? Who thinks on the deaths of our fellow Americans, that we sacrificed because of a tyrant? Do you remember what you felt when you saw the Twin Towers fall? Where were you when you heard of the attack on the Pentagon? Did you hear of the heroes on flight 93?
I remember where I was. I remember staring in disbelief, then crying in sorrow. I remember the worry I had for my home, the land of my birth. History was the class I was in when the planes' destruction was aired on the news. What a fitting place. I remember the day, the teacher, I also remember them telling us we can't watch it. But yet we still had it on in our classroom.
Even though I remember, did I really understand? I had turned 14 only months previously. I look at my 14 year old brother and wonder how he would have reacted if it was him in my place. I think I understood at the face value of it all. But to fully comprehend was a little out of my league. I did not know the history of our two nations' interactions and their diplomatic relations.
What if I saw it happen now? As if an answer to this question, a documentary on the brave souls of Flight 93,' The Flight That Fought Back' by Discovery channel, was aired Sunday night. Chad and I watched it. Seeing the scenes of what may have happened (based on testimonies of the family and friends of members aboard) reenacted, brought tears and a deeper understanding to me. I cried when I saw the planes strike the Twin Towers. I cried when I heard the recordings of the passengers fighting the hijackers.
These people died for us. They died with out being asked. They died because they new that their deaths saves others. Would I be as brave? I hope I would be. There was a passenger on board who was pregnant. How would I handle myself in her situation? Would I call my family to say I love them and goodbye? Or would I sit back and believe the hijackers claims of obedience equaling the ability to survive? I pray I will never have to know. I pray this never happens again.

No comments: