Monday, August 25, 2008

"It never ends!"


Tonight I am reminded of a favorite Dream Works movie, Over the Hedge. What brings this film to mind is a specific line in which a little ADD squirrel, while looking in astonishment at a new and unfamiliar addition to their forest, exclaims "It never ends!". This new addition is a hedge, for those who have missed an opportunity for a delightfully humorous movie. Why do I think of this line and why does it apply to my life? Those who read this that are the caregivers of their households and do the bulk of the house slaving- I mean cleaning, have most likely pieced together the clues already. I am referring to the never ending processes of cleaning a home.
One of my dearest friends has a plaque in her kitchen which reads "Cleaning a home with children growing is like shoveling snow while its still snowing". My husband smartly mentioned he would change that saying to read "Cleaning a home with children growing is like shoveling snow while in a blizzard". I would have to say I feel strongly about that. And once you add animals you are really fighting an uphill battle.
My predicament is that I don't like starting and I don't get very motivated with my daughter around. Maybe that is because she then notices that mommy is trying to do something and she wants all attention. I could be watching TV and she wouldn't bother me, but the moment I go to pick up toys she has all sorts of needs.
I bring this up this evening because I have been cleaning most of the day and it really only appears as if I have just started! So I declare, from my dear friend Sammy the squirrel, "It never ends!"

No comments: