Thursday, October 2, 2008

Unplanned

You hear of the teen pregnancy, the black mark on the family. You hear of it through the grapevine. Its always someone else's daughter. You watch that family mourn the loss of the youth of their teen, too young to be a parent. But how do you react when the said daughter is in your family? You are now the family with the unplanned child of a teen girl.
I never wanted to experience this. I never wanted to know how people felt when this happened. Never. She's too young. She's void of so many skills.


But its positive. Reality is, she is pregnant.

So what now? Where do you go from here? I knew she was pregnant. Even before the test came back. I knew. I saw her belly pudging out. I saw her queasy face. She complained of all the common early signs.

But I didn't want it to show the two pink lines. Reality is, they are bold, bold as day.


Tomorrow we go to the lab. Tomorrow, we call to set an appointment for first trimester check ups.

The baby is on its way. The new addition to our family. To a child herself, how this will affect her life many know. What we don't know is how she will change to handle it.




How do you handle it, when you're the one who was trying?

2 comments:

mema said...

A baby is a blessing, planned or not. The way to get thru is prayer and family. Hang in there, Love Jacque

Amanda Collins said...

I know the baby was a blessing. For goodness sakes, I am one of those unplanned children. I am not saying that its a blessing. I know she'll be okay. I was in so much shock last night though. Now I found that I am pregnant. And that is weird.
Mom is kinda weirded out. She doesn't seem very excited about either child right now. Not that I am surprised. She wasn't at first happy I got pregnant with Abi.